Saturday, August 1, 2009

Smashing Pumpkins - Live Acoustic 1993




A band that needs little to no introduction; love them, hate them, disregard them; you still likely know who they are. It's been said that they eschewed the punk & hardcore roots that many of their "grunge" contemporaries more openly embraced. Whether that is completely true or not is for others to argue. Whether Billy Corgan is a tyrannical band leader is fine talk while sitting around with friends; but clear for me is that as a young teen transitioning into punk & hardcore full tilt in the 90's, Smashing Pumpkins still resonated with me as I was busy going through those anti-radio/anti-corporate growing pains of Punk Rock. I can still put on Smashing Pumpkins stuff and be impressed. Maybe the band is a bunch of nuts or fame seekers; who knows. But there's some good tunes in there regardless if theyre saints or assholes.

This is a short set, including a cover of Thin Lizzy's "Dancing In the Moonlight", which personally makes the set worthwhile for me. I'm a Thin Lizzy fan, as well, Corgan sounds so haunting on vocals.

Enjoy!

Smashing Pumpkins - Live Acoustic 1993

No comments: