Saturday, October 31, 2009

Everlast "Drown the Self" | Incite - "Demo"

You get a nice two-fer here. One band, some of the patrons here have probably heard of; Everlast; from Illinois and playing that oh-so well known 90's hardcore sound.
The other band, Incite, hailed from Youngstown (and outlying parts), Ohio & while also a 90's band, didn't play chug-chug hardcore.





I became aware of this band through picking up the Cold War comp., which I had gotten for the Within A Lie song (because I loved the track on the Indecision Records comp.). To be honest, the first time I listened the whole comp. was a bit of a letdown; but it had been a dollar bin rescue from Dr. Strange & it held potential.

Some time later, good friend Andy IV turned over some of his records to me so that I could rip them for him. One of those records happened to be this Everlast 7inch. My interest was again sparked for the comp. and through this Everlast record I was able to get into the band more (good job Andy).

Chuggy hardcore like you would expect; pissed off and heavy on the toms and stopping/starting in the right spots. Not a bad record at all. Won't blow any minds, but it's got solid replay value. According to comments on the Coregasm Blog (who also posted this 7inch), a member of Racetraitor & a (brief) member of Disembodied were in this band, so some more Mid-west Hardcore notoriety for those of you who care.

Everlast - "Drown the Self" 7inch





Eons ago, when trolls lived in AOL chatrooms and modems made bleep-bleet noises and your older brothers and sisters would curse when "too many people were on-line" which prevented them from getting on line; in a time between direct dial-in Bulletin Board Systems & the modern Message Board, some people communicated through e-mail groups. A person could email something out through a client/service and it would go to everyone signed up. Likewise, responses to that email would go back through the group. Kinda like the "Reply All" function so used in office email now.

So, in those days when Pregnasauraus ruled the world and Webrings were everywhere (remember that link swapping stuff? haha), I met this kid Zack (I don't remember the email group, but I know the singer from Burden was active on it too). Anyhow, Zack & I hit it off. He was from the midwest, me the west coast. We were both into hardcore and what more did you need at a young age? Seriously.

At the time Zack was in a band called Proof Positive, who had just started up. But, as has often been the case with Zack, he had his hand in many projects at once. One recently deceased project was the band Incite. Incite played something probably best described as 90's hardcore in a vein of doing a little bit of everything in a blend that kinda gives you Snapcase meets Warzone. No, there's no skinhead anthems or tightly tuned snare drums. But there are some things that don't fit with their overall straight forward hardcore sound. Ohio hardcore that wasn't crossing over into rap metal/rock or tough sounding. I know, who knew that existed in the 90's? (ha ha).

Enjoy!

Incite - "Demo Tape"

3 comments:

FredCore said...

The Incite demo was really interesting. I grew up about 30-45 minutes north of Warren, Ohio. I went to some shows there, but I never caught Incite or knew of them.

xJonx said...

Thanks Fred.
I'm not from Ohio myself, but as much of a hotbed as it was for different hardcore (and the midwest in general); glad you liked it man.

ZVS said...

Not sure if FredCore will be notified that there's a new comment here, but I wanted to say thanks for the nice words about Incite. I am the Zack mentioned in the post. I remastered the demo this year along with a couple other bands I was in during that era:
https://zvshistory.bandcamp.com/album/the-hardcore-demos